Top 5 Celebration Destinations Afloat
Britain’s beautiful canal network passes through some of our most exciting towns and cities, where waterfronts have been transformed into vibrant destinations, with shops, bars, restaurants and top attractions. Our narrowboats can accommodate up to 12 people – perfect for getting family or friends together for a celebration afloat, whether it’s mini-break or longer holiday.
We even offer luxury canal boat hire for groups of up to 12 people, with our ‘Bond Class’ 12-berth boats operating out of Bath, Oxford, Trevor and Stockton.
Here are our top 5 celebration destinations afloat for 2018:
- Birmingham’s Brindleyplace. From our canal boat rental base at Tardebigge on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal near Bromsgrove, city centre moorings at Gas Street Basin next are just five lock-free hours away by boat. From there, canal boat holiday-makers are perfectly positioned to enjoy the fantastic entertainment offered at Birmingham’s vibrant Brindleyplace, where as well the glitzy Mailbox shopping centre and dozens of bars and restaurants, there’s a host of summer events planned, including free live music at The Water’s Edge on Friday nights, summer markets on the last Friday of each month, and a free outdoor film festival from 16 to 22 July.
- Oxford & the River Thames. With moorings close to Hythe Bridge, just ten minutes on foot from the centre of Oxford, staying on board a canal boat is a fantastic way to get the most out of this exciting University City. Our canal boat hire base at Eynsham on the River Thames near Witney, is a three-hour cruise away, giving hirers the chance to enjoy a Thames boating holiday, as well as all that the ‘City of Dreaming Spires’ has to offer. With major tourist attractions like the Bodleian Library and Ashmolean Museum, shopping meccas like the Covered Market and Westgate Shopping Centre, and a wide choice of bars, pubs, clubs, nightclubs, theatres and cinemas, Oxford is a great place to celebrate a big occasion.
- Georgian Bath. Famous for its beautiful Georgian architecture and Roman Baths, the World Heritage Status City of Bath on the banks of the River Avon, remains one of Britain’s top tourist destinations. From our narrowboat hire base at Sydney Wharf, it takes just two hours (passing through six locks), to reach moorings in the centre of Bath. This summer, canal boat holiday-makers take advantage of the City’s fantastic rich history and vibrant culture, including taking a dip in the thermal hot springs at the Thermae Bath Spa, visiting the Roman Baths by torchlight, enjoying top comedians at Komedia’s Krater Comedy Club, live music at the Green Park Brassie and cocktails at the Circo Bar & Lounge.
- Shakespeare’s Stratford. From our canal boat rental base at Wootton Wawen, on the Stratford Canal near Henley-in-Arden, this famous town on the banks of the River Avon can be reached in just six hours. Once there, narrowboat holiday-makers can moor up in Bancroft Basin in the centre of Stratford, close to waterside restaurants like Carluccios, the Royal Shakespeare theatre with its star-studded productions, and a choice of bars, pubs and clubs, including the Hotel du Vin, All Bar One and the Shakespeare Street Cocktail Bar & Nightclub.
- Historic Chester. Renowned for its Roman city walls, cobbled streets, medieval shopping rows and racecourse, the historic City of Chester on the River Dee is just seven hours by boat from our canal barge holiday base on the Shropshire Union Canal at Bunbury. As well as amazing shopping, Chester has some fantastic bars and restaurants, including: the Opera Grill housed in an impressive Grade II listed building with a neoclassical Greek façade (which also offers live music on Friday nights); The Alchemist cocktail bar and restaurant where exciting experimental drinks and food are served; and the lively Barlounge Chester with great outdoor and indoor space for celebrating.
To book a holiday or break on any of Anglo Welsh’s fleet, call our friendly booking team on 0117 304 1122.