And the winner is … ‘Tea for the Tillerman’ wins Anglo Welsh’s Canal Adventures 2017 Photo Challenge
Most people would agree that the picturesque waterways of England and Wales are just one big Instagram shoot waiting to happen, so when Anglo Welsh asked the Great British Public to post their finest canal-themed images online we were confident of a decent response – especially as the #CanalAdventures2017 winner would bag a fabulous Canon EOS 1300D digital camera worth £300.
But for decent response read spectacular response!
Images of old boats, new boats, dawn vistas, dusk vistas, rural towpaths, urban moorings, veteran skippers, narrowboat novices, kids with ducks, dogs with kids, stunning landscapes … we were bowled over by the variety and vibrancy of your photos.
Sifting through close to a thousand Instagram and Facebook posts was a pleasure, but choosing one winner was a real challenge. Here at Anglo Welsh we know a pretty canal pic when we see one, but to help us make an informed decision we invited photographers from design agency, Jazzbones Creative, to join us on the judges’ panel.
In the end, whimsical prettiness edged out funny, dynamic or hip in the shape of Brian Phillimore’s lovingly crafted image of a narrowboat stern on the Kennet and Avon Canal, inspired, he admits, by the Cat Stevens song ‘Tea For The Tillerman’.
An honourable mention goes to three runners-up, all winners of an HP Sprocket Photo Printer worth £100 – Gary Sargent for his shimmering view of Ainscough Mill on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Andy Stevens’ evocative portrait of a night mooring at The Lock Inn on the River Avon, and Maggie and Ryan Duncan’s chiaroscuro take on the Anglo Welsh narrowboat Silver Ghost.
A huge thank you for all your images and watch this space for news of more exciting canal-themed competitions with fabulous prizes, courtesy of Anglo Welsh, the narrowboat experts.
Click here to view the #CanalAdventures2017 online gallery. To book a canal holiday on any of Anglo Welsh’s picturesque canal circuits, please contact our friendly customer team on 0117 304 1122.
Share your canal pics with Anglo Welsh and you could win great prizes in our ‘Canal Adventures 2017’ Instagram Photo Challenge.
The waterways of England and Wales are nothing if not a photographer’s dream. Picturesque canals, enchanting towpaths, handsome narrowboats and panoramic landscapes – we’re talking one great big visual adventure crying out to be captured on film.
Now Anglo Welsh is offering every canal lover the chance to share their own best photos of this unique natural world as we launch a visual gallery of the UK’s most stunning waterways. Best of all, by entering our ‘Canal Adventures 2017’ Challenge* you could win our outstanding first prize, a Canon EOS 1300D digital camera worth £300, or in the case of three lucky runners-up, an HP Sprocket Photo Printer worth £100.
Taking part in Anglo Welsh’s 2017 Instagram Photo Challenge couldn’t be easier! All you have to do is:
1) ‘follow’ Anglo Welsh on Instagram and Facebook.
2) upload your photos to these platforms using the hashtag #canaladventures2017.
To give yourself the best chance of winning a prize your photo should capture the essence of UK canals. We’re looking for stunning views from and of narrowboats, towpaths and waterways, not to mention canal-side landscapes, fauna and flora.
Before you grab your camera – or mobile phone – and set off on your great canal adventure, here are a few photographic tips from Anglo Welsh’s in-house snappers.
Lateral thinking. You’re not taking a posed picture in a portrait studio with a nondescript background behind your subject; you’re capturing the beauty of a natural setting. Whether it’s a canal detail, a narrowboat or the skipper, put the subject of your photo off-centre for dramatic effect.
Capture the moment. The latest mobile phone cameras are so good you can take spontaneous photos without sacrificing quality. Remember, that kingfisher or otter won’t wait for you to take light readings and set up your tripod!
Explore different angles. Photograph those water voles or water lilies down at eye level. Crouch down to get a new perspective on these little living things.
Shoot in the shade. Direct sunlight is harsh and makes your subject squint. When shooting in the shade, there are no more harsh shadows, only smooth patterns created by your subject’s natural features.
Take lots of photos. Here’s a secret that professional snappers prefer to keep to themselves – the best pictures are the select few that a photographer actually got right. For every perfect image of reflections in the water, sunset behind a canal lock or vintage narrowboats in harmony with their surroundings, there are dozens of blurry, dull photos that never made it off the cutting room floor.
Enjoy your canal adventures and remember, by sharing your photos on Instagram and Facebook using the hashtag #canaladventures2017 you could win a Canon EOS 1300D, a top-notch Digital SLR for anyone who loves taking photos of the UK’s beautiful waterways.
If you have any questions about Anglo Welsh’s ‘Canal Adventure 2017’ Challenge, please contact our friendly customer team on 0117 304 1122.
Terms and conditions. – Competition begins 1st May 2017 and closes on 31st August 2017.
– To enter the competition, you must be following Anglo Welsh on Instagram and Facebook and must upload photos to these platforms using the hashtag #canaladventures2017.
– Entrants can be all ages. Under 16s must seek permission from a parent or guardian.
– Entrants can submit as many photos as they like during the competition period.
– Photographs must show typical scenery of UK canals which can be seen whilst aboard a canal boat or on a towpath e.g waterways, canals, narrowboats, landscapes, wildlife, canal-side countryside, etc.
– Photos must be taken and uploaded in 2017, between the above dates.
– The winner will be selected by the judging panel. The judges’ decision is final.
– Prize winners will be announced via Instagram and Facebook on 8th September, 2017.
– First prize is a Canon EOS 1300D worth approx. £300. Three runners-up prizes are an HP Sprocket worth approx. £100 each. The prizes cannot be exchanged or returned. There is no cash equivalent.
– Winner(s) may be contacted by Anglo Welsh if they want to use the images for any advertisement or publication.
– The organiser reserves the right to change or cancel the competition at any time.
– By entering you agree by the rules and are happy for your imagery to be used for marketing purposes by Anglo Welsh Waterway Holidays and their associated companies.
– Members of Anglo Welsh staff plus staff of associated companies are not permitted to enter this competition.
We offer a range of different types of holidays such as City Breaks, Relaxation Cruises and Popular Destinations
So why choose Anglo Welsh?
More than 55 years providing unique canal boat holidays.
Modern & spacious narrowboat holiday fleet – from 2 to 12 berths.
Wide choice of narrowboat hire locations and canal.
Canal boat holiday routes for novices & experienced boaters.
Flexible holiday booking, no hidden costs.
Family friendly holidays, pets also welcome.